1710 Soscol Avenue Suite 4
Napa, CA 94559
Capitol Corridor MCP Cooperative Extension
Breanna is a wildlife biologist and ecologist, specializing in ornithology. She is compelled by the co-existence and mutual benefits of humans and wildlife in agroecosystems and is committed to working to find solutions that benefit both people and wildlife. Her research has addressed the role of birds on farms as pests and pest control agents, and she has worked on projects investigating the important role farmland plays as habitat for California birds. With the USDA Western Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education program, she investigated the implications of agricultural land-use and pest management practices on raptor ecology and conservation. Breanna is excited to be part of UC ANR where she can develop a research and extension program that has the power to increase knowledge and adoption of management practices that promote ecological sustainability and increase farm viability in California.
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Martinico, BL; Sage, GK (2023). Population genetics and phylogeography of North American Merlins in the post-DDT era. Ibis.
- Phillips, EM; Martinico, BL (2022). A proposed framework to investigate the interactions between Barn Owls and anticoagulant rodenticides in an Integrated Pest Management program. Proceedings of the Vertebrate Pest Conference. 30.
- Bourbour, RP; Martinico, BL (2022). Banding records of nestling Barn Owls reveal optimal timing for nest box management in California. Journal of Wildlife Management. 86.
- Phillips, RA; Meerman, JC (2022). Breeding Biology of the Hook-billed Kite in Belize, Central America. Journal of Raptor Research. 56, 220-229.
- Bourbour, RP; Aylward, CM (2021). Falcon Fuel: DNA metabarcoding reveals the diet of migrating Merlins in the Pacific Flyway. Ibis. 163, 1282-1293.
- Kross, SM; Martinico, BL (2020). Effects of field and landscape scale habitat on insect and bird damage to sunflowers. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. 4, 40.
- Phillips, RA; Martinez, R (2020). Foraging and nesting ecology of the Stygian Owl in the Mountain Pine Ridge region of Belize. Wilson Journal of Ornithology. 761-768.
- Hull, JM; Sage, G (2020). Isolation and characterization of microsatellite loci in Merlin and cross-species amplification. Molecular Biology Reports. 47, 8377-8383.
- Smith, O; Bourbour, RP (2020). Promoting beneficial raptors: Identification, pest control services, and management. EOrganic.
- Bourbour, RP; Martinico, BL (2019). Interspecies, temporal, and geographic comparisons of feather mercury concentrations in North American raptors sampled at migration monitoring stations. Ecotoxicology. 28, 379-391.
- Bourbour, RP; Martinico, BL (2019). Messy eaters: Swabbing prey DNA from the exterior of inconspicuous predators when foraging cannot be observed. Ecology and Evolution. 9, 1452-1457.
- Kross, SM; Bourbour, RP (2016). Agricultural land use, barn owl diet, and vertebrate pest control implications. Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment. 223, 167-171.
- Phillips, RA; Bousman, WG (2014). First successful nesting of Swainson's Hawk in Santa Clara County, California, since the 1800s. Western Birds. 45, 176-182.
- Martinico, BL (2023). Managing raptors for increased pest control on farms.