Rachael Freeman Long
70 Cottonwood St
Woodland, CA 95695
- Bradford Rominger Ag Sustainability Leadership Award
Presented by Agricultural Sustainability Institute, https://asi.ucdavis.edu/about/awards-and-scholarships/bradford-rominger-award/2019, 2019
SpecialtyPest management, agronomy, dry beans, alfalfa, water quality, oil seed crops
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Ag Commodities and Products - General
- Plant Commodities and Products
- Field Crops
- Field Crops - General
- Beans, Dry - Other
- Vegetable Crops
- Plants and Their Systems
- Insects, Mites, and Other Arthropods Affecting Plants
- Pathogens and Nematodes Affecting Plants
- Weeds Affecting Plants
- Vertebrates, Mollusks, and Other (Non Arthropod, Pathogen, Nematode, Weed) Pests
- Biological Control of Pests Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
- Beneficial Insects
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Watershed Protection and Management
- Pollution Prevention and Mitigation
- Economics, Markets, and Policy
- Economics of Agricultural Production and Farm Management
- Market Economics
- Rim, K; Price, SJ (2019). Biology and management of clover root curculio (Coleoptera: Curculionidae). J. Integrated Pest Management. 10:1, 1-14. July.
- Heath, S; Long, RF (2019). Seminatural landscape cover and orchard characteristics mediate pest reduction by birds within intensive agriculture. Ecosphere. 10:10, 1-24. October.
- RF, Long; Leinfelder-Miles, M (2018). Garbanzo (chickpea) production in California. UC ANR publication. UC ANR Communication Services. 8634.
- LA, Sellers; Long, RF (2018). Impact of field-edge habitat on mammalian wildlife abundance, distribution, and vectored foodborne pathogens in adjacent crops. Crop Protection. 108, 1-11.
- Garbach, Kelly; Long, Rachael (2017). Determinants of field edge habitat restoration on farms in California’s Sacramento Valley. J. of Environmental Management, Vol 189:134-141. Journal of Environmental Management. Vol 189, 134-141.
- Kross, Sara; Ingram, Kate (2017). Drivers of farmer perceptions of wildlife and on-farm conservation actions. Conservation Letters. 1-9.
- Long, Rachael; Garbach, Kelly (2017). Hedgerow benefits align with food production and sustainability goals. California Agriculture. 71:3, 117-119.
Morandin LA, RF Long, and C Kremen. 2016. Pest control and pollination cost benefit analysis of hedgerow restoration in a simplified agricultural landscape. J. Economic Entomology. tow086
- LD, Godfrey; Long., R (2016). "University of California Integrated Pest Management Guidelines for Alfalfa, Insects and Mites."
- LD, Godfrey; Long, R (2016). "University of California Integrated Pest Management Guidelines for Dry Beans, Insects and mites, diseases and nematodes."
- S, Gillespie; Long, RF (2015). "Indirect effects of field management on pollination service and seed set in hybrid onion seed production." Journal of Economic Entomology 107(1): 29-37.
- Morandin, L.; Long, R. (2014). "Hedgerows enhance beneficial insects and pest control on adjacent tomato fields in an intensive agricultural landscape." Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment
- Gillespie, S.; Long, R. (2014). Indirect effects of field management on pollination service and seed set in hybrid onion seed production.
- Gillespie, S.; Long, R. (2013). "Insecticide use in hybrid onion seed production effects pre and post-pollination processes." Journal of Economic Entomology
- Long, R.; Temple, S. (2013). Lima bean production in California. UC ANR Publication. 8505.
- Voss, R.; Murray, M. (2013). Onion seed production in California. UC ANR Publication. 8008.
- Prichard, T.; Schwankl, L. (2011). Controlling offsite movement of agricultural chemical residues: Alfalfa. UC ANR Publication. 8459. http://ucanr.org/pubs.cfm
- Morandin, L.; Long, R. (2011). "Hedgerows enhance beneficial insects on farms in Californiaâs Central Valley." California Agriculture 65(4): 197-201.
- Long, R.; Morandin, L. (2011). "Low hybrid onion seed yields relate to honey bee visits and insecticide applications." California Agriculture 65(3): 155-158.
- Long, R.; Temple, S. (2010). Common dry bean production in California, second edition. UC ANR Publication. 8402. http://ucanr.org/pubs.cfm
- Long, R.; Anderson, J. (2010). Establishing hedgerows on farms in California. UC ANR Publication. 8390. http://ucanr.org/pubs.cfm
- Long, R.; Hanson, B. (2010). "Mitigation techniques reduce sediment in runoff from furrow-irrigated cropland." California Agriculture 64(3): 135-140.
- Long, R.; Fulton, A. (2010). Protecting surface water from sediment-associated pesticides in furrow-irrigated fields. UC ANR Publication. 8403. http://ucanr.org/pubs.cfm
- Long, R.; Meyer, R. (2008). Producing alfalfa hay organically. Irrigated Alfalfa Production Manual. UC ANR. 3512
- Tietje, W.; Heaton, E. (2008). Songbird, owl, and bat boxes. UC ANR Publication. 21636.
- Summers, C.; Godfrey, L. (2006). UC IPM Guidelines for Alfalfa, Insects and Mites. UC ANR.
- Long, R.; Kiser, W. (2006). "Well-placed bat houses can attract bats to Central Valley farms." California Agriculture 60(2): 91-94.
- Long, R.; Gan, J. (2005). Pesticide Choice: Best Management Practice (BMP) for protecting surface water quality in agriculture. UC ANR Publication. 8161.
- Long, R.; Kimball, M. (2003). Establishing a hedgerow. UC ANR Publication. V02-A.
- Ehler, L.; Pease, C. (2003). "Farmscape ecology of a native stinkbug in the Sacramento Valley." Fremontia 30: 3-4.
- Long, R.; Nett, M. (2002). "Insecticide choice for alfalfa may protect water quality." California Agriculture 56(5): 163-169.
- Putnam, D.; Long, R. (2001). "Effect of overseeding forages into alfalfa on alfalfa weevil, forage yield and quality." Journal Agronomy & Crop Science 187: 75-81.
- Canevari, W.; Putnam, D. (2000). Overseeding and Companion Cropping in Alfalfa. UC ANR Publication. 21594.
- Long, R.; Simpson, T. (1998). "Bats feed on crop pests in Sacramento Valley." California Agriculture 52(1): 8-10.
- Long, R.; Corbett, A. (1998). "Movement of beneficial insects from flowering plants to associated crops." California Agriculture 52(5): 23-26.
- Ehler, L.; Long, R. (1997). "Potential for augmentative biological control of black bean aphid in California sugar beet." Entomophaga 42(1): 241-256.
- Lanini, W.; Freeman Long, R. (1996). "Pre-emergence herbicides have little effect on vigor of perennial grasses." California Agriculture 50(5): 38-41.
- Hoffman, M.; Kirkwyland, J. (1995). "Field tests with kairomone-baited trap for cucumber beetles and corn rootworms in cucurbits." Environmental Entomology 25(5): 1173-1181.
- Welter, S.; Freeman, R. (1991). "Recovery of âZinfandelâ grapevines from feeding damage by Willamette spider mite (Acari: Tetranychidae): Implications for economic injury level studies." Environmental Entomology 20(1): 104-109.
- Freeman, R.; Carey, J. (1990). "Interaction of host stimuli in the ovipositional response of the Mediterranean fruit fly, Ceratitis capitata (Diptera: Tephritidae)." Environmental Entomology 19(4): 1075-1080.
- Van Steenwyk, R.; Havens, D. (1990). "Trap improvement studies for two vectors of western X-disease: Colladonus montanus and Fieberiella florii (Homoptera: Cicalellids)." Journal of Economic Entomology 83: 2279-2283.
- Welter, S.; Farnham, D. (1989). "Willamette mite and Pacific spider mite (Acari: Tetranychidae) on grape gas exchange." Environmental Entomology 18(6): 953-957.
California Agriculture Article Contributions
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Grain Legume - Chair
- Agroecology and Organic Farming Systems - Member
- Alfalfa and Forage Systems - Member
- Entomology - Member
- Pest Management in ANR - Member
- Vegetable Crops - Member
- Weed - Member
- Wildlife - Member