History of UCCE
On May 8, 1914 Congress passed the Smith-Lever Act, providing federal funds to the USDA’s Extension Service for cooperative work with Land-Grant universities and colleges.
In 1915, the California state legislature authorized the UC Regents to conduct the Agricultural Extension program. This empowered county boards of supervisors to appropriate and use county funds to support Extension work in agriculture, in cooperation with the USDA.
This three-way cooperative arrangement was created to bring agricultural education and research to the public.
In July of 2014, the University of California along with the Boards of Supervisors from Sacramento, Solano, and Yolo counties agreed to merge the UCCE offices from each county into one unit: Capitol Corridor. This merger increases the impact of UCCE in each county with access to a greater number of programs and improves efficiency of services while reducing administrative costs.